Date: 16.03.2006 - 28.03.2006
Seminar „FP7 and how to submit and manager FP funded projects“ co-organized by the European Commission and by Ernst & Young has focused on summarizing the progress in IST priority in FP6 on preparations and specific information on IST in FP7. The second block has included the presentation of five business groups activ under IST – European Microsoft Innovation Center, Logica CMG, Ericsson Austria, EADS Deutschland and Polska Telefonia Cyfrova. After the lunch, last block with experts from Ernst & Young told the participants about their experiences with project proposal preparation on one hand and with project management under Framework Programme on the other.
The preliminary proposal for IST under FP7 includes four main strategic areas:
1. ICT Technology Pillars - pushing the limits of performance, usability, dependability, cost efficiency (klasická témata)
2. Integration of Technologies - integrating multi-technology sets that underlie new functionalities, services and applications (personal environments; home environments; robotic systems; inteligent infrastructure)
3. Applications Research - providing the knowledge and the means to develop a wide range of ICT-based services and applications (societal challenges, health, mobility, environement and government; ICT content, creativity and personal development; support to businesses; ICT for trust and konfidence)
4. Future and Emerging Technologies - supporting research at the frontiers of knowledge
Apart form classical tools of today – Collaborative projects (STREP/IP), Networks of excellence and Coordination/support actions - under IST there will be established two Joint Technology Initiatives (JTI Nanoelectronics and JTI Embedded Computing Systems) and one international Joint R&D Programme (Joint R&D Programme Ambient Assisted Living):
- In case of JTIs, it is research that is close to that market like today's projects under EUREKA. By the way of its functioning these are subprograms of program IST that will issue their own calls for project proposals. Any research group can participate in the call without being a member of the JTI.
- Motivation for Joint R&D Programme Ambient Assisted Living is that under FP6 five to six MS joined forces in a project that dealt with the support to the elderly people. Today, other countries participate in the project, in total 12 to 15. In FP7 each of these MS will put in its part from national programs and the EC will top it up. From the last fact it follows that again the participation will be open to all research establishment.
Finances to IST priority will increase annualy by approx. 30% in comparison with FP6.